The Responsibility of Locked Hallways

On Monday, September 20th, 2021,  it was announced that the halls would be locked before 7:30 and during lunch. The change was made in order to keep students out of the halls. However, it does cause some issues.

Before, students could easily go to a teacher’s class to help clarify a topic they could be confused by. Students were also able to get to class early to avoid the massive crowds that typically form once the bell rings. Now students only have about eight minutes to talk to their teachers. This limited window also increases the chance of multiple students coming to a teacher at the same time, making it harder to get time alone with the instructor. 

It also makes it harder for students to drop items off at a class. If one needs to drop an item off in the third story of the 400 building, but then the first period is on the second floor of the main building. Now a person has to make this long and slow walk in under 10 minutes, which is just a bit under impossible. 

Of course locking the halls does help keep all the students in certain areas, which makes watching over them much easier. “I think it’s unfortunate that it has to be done. But it has to be done due to wonderful Tik-Tok trends with people trashing the halls. It’s a necessary evil,” said teacher Mr. Kimelstein. Undoubtedly, this change was caused by some students getting into mischief in the halls, whether that be stealing bathroom soap, or trying to skip classes. If students want to stop being treated as children, then some must stop acting like it. 

Not all students are to blame, only a select few. The behavior of these students inconveniences everyone else. “I feel that the locked halls are very irritating because other students who are behaving properly should not have to be punished for other students who are acting inappropriately,” said Madeline Eacker. This new change can bring about a sense of self reflection for students, allowing them to be better at thinking about widespread consequences of their actions, and how they impact everyone else. Now, instead of being able to do easy projects to help a student in their time through high school, they are now again being inconvenienced. Actions have consequences typically beyond what we could think of in a split second. 

People need to take some more time to think about what might happen and how it not only affects one and those right around them, but also the wider number of people around. Of course no-one is perfect, but we should all strive to get better at taking into account those around us even if we don’t know them. Yes, that includes the freshmen.