Pep Rally Protocol

Seniors upset by split send-off

Photo Credits: Melanie Ayala

As the class of 2020 reaches closer to their graduation, many are excited to attend their last pep rally as seniors. The senior send-off pep rally has been an exciting event seniors look forward to every year. It is the last school event these students can attend to show their school spirit. It also shines a light on them and gives them a sense of acknowledgement. 

The entrance to these pep rallies has changed. Prior to this year, many high schools charged students to attend pep rallies in order to ensure that only the students who wanted to be there attended. This made sure there was an exciting environment maintained and created an idea that the rallies, especially their last, are a thing to look forward to. Now, everyone and anyone can attend the pep rally. 

With the new administration, the principal changing from Mr. Steven Carruth to Dr. Mark Kaplan, many students came to the conclusion that Dr. Kaplan was the person in charge of this new protocol. This is untrue. This new policy was a district decision. 

All high school principals were directed this year that any and all pep rallies must be free to all students. In other words, students cannot be charged money for missing class,” Principal Kaplan said. “This issue has nothing to do with one administration or another. It was a district clarification and expectation related to all high schools.” 

Now, the pep rallies are split into two sessions, half of the school going first, and the rest after. This recently became controversial among the seniors. The 2020 graduates responded negatively to this change for many reasons. Senior send off is a custom here, and the disappointed soon-to-be graduates want to spend this grand celebration with their friends. With this new “two pep rally” idea, many of the seniors will be separated from their friends, and will not be able to spend their last high school pep rally with the friends they loved and worked hard with for 4 years. 

The new idea splits the opportunity to have time with student’s friends and enjoy the entire period.”

— Samantha Noel, senior

This view is shared through many seniors as it is heard whispered throughout the school. 

Although it is not popular, the split has many “pros” as well. The shorter time spent at the rally is used to ensure that 8th or 4th period teachers can see their students. This makes sure there isn’t a stunt, resulting in other classes being ahead of others. Fewer students are also crammed into the gym. Before this change, all students who paid went. Now that everyone can attend, it would be quite dangerous to have the entire school population crowded in the gym. This could create a potential safety hazard and cause an incident to occur.  

Unfortunately, to many seniors disappointment, the current pep rally protocol will not change, and is unlikely to be changed any time soon. By making these changes, Kaplan is hopeful that the students will gradually learn to like the new pep rally, as it should be one of the most memorable events during a students high school career.