Calamity Caused by Covid

Students struggle with the transition to Online School

As the Coronavirus makes its way around America, it has affected the lives of millions, in countless ways. Whether it’s losing their job, an important event is canceled, or a loved one passing, the toll taken on our community strengthens greatly. For students, this year starts off on a complicated note, due to the transfer to the new “norm” of remote learning. 

The pandemic has had its ups and downs throughout 2020. In March, the news broke out on the severity of the virus. Some citizens took this news seriously, and some, unfortunately, did not. Now in September, we face the consequences of treating the virus-like a ghost earlier in the year. When the governor of Florida announced that schools will be temporarily closed for safety reasons, personally I took that as a blessing in disguise, being so excited for a couple of weeks staying at home, it couldn’t get any better, right? Wrong! We were all wrong about this virus. Us students thought of it as a small break little did we know it would change the course of the following year to come.

As a senior, starting my last year of high school online sparked frustration, anger, and much sadness. This isn’t how I envisioned my senior year to be, but unfortunately, this is the reality for all of us students. On the first day of school, I sat at my desk on the computer waiting for the next class to start and tears came down my face as I anticipated this day to be full of friends and the last first football game that I would cheer at. This is the situation we are all in, and this is what we need to get used to.

Transitioning to online learning has some getting used to, but so far I have learned my way around navigating through Canvas and Microsoft teams. Starting my day at 8:30 and sitting in my room for the variety of the day doesn’t bring much excitement, but I do enjoy my classes. By learning online, I feel that it can have copious amounts of negatives. Staying secluded in one room for hours on end with no one but the people on your screen can lead to depression, anxiety, and overall not motivate any student to learn. 

Learning from home can affect the way students gain knowledge on the topic being taught.  Whether they’re in elementary, middle, or high school it can be different for everyone, but the lecture that would usually be discussed in class is now online and it may not be as clear or direct. In class, the teacher can ask students to participate easily, but online it’s much more complicated, technical difficulties, internet going out, computer dying, the list goes on. This forces teachers to be more understanding and work at a slower pace than usual. Thus, slowing the learning and not giving students a fair opportunity to learn the way that suits them.

Another down part of E-learning, is students getting easily distracted. Something as silly as a notification will get me off track and I find myself wondering how I even got so distracted. It is hard for some students to pay attention to the lecture, in the comfort of their home. Students can easily lie in bed and fall asleep, wake up, and not have a clue what to do, that wouldn’t happen in school. One more negative reason I don’t appreciate online school is when we go back the year will most likely be halfway or almost done. Having us go back to the middle of the year can hurt us because we will already be so used to learning from home.