Clubs Gone Virtual

School clubs begin for this first time ever in a remote setting

COVID ‘19 struck a major nerve in the fundamental fields of knowledge and labor offices, for example, business motives of some not being able to work in the pandemic and some beliefs of children going back to learn in their respective educational field. The school recently began on August 19, 2020, in a new setting. Virtual learning introduced itself this year into the school board systems of Miami-Dade and Broward County of South Florida. More specifically Coral Glades High School. Coral Glades students have started school where the rules and policies of classroom behavior are still expected to be respected and unforced, but instead of introducing just the learning aspect of the educational system, Coral Glades introduces the new opening of Clubs on Teams.

Excitation exuded through the screen from many different students. Students and Faculty members were worried about how activities were going to resume due to the continuation of the pandemic and the problems that may arise with being in a direct atmosphere with students who you have no knowledge about their whereabouts of what they do outside of school or who they surround themselves with. Club meetings are to take place on Teams at the reserved time scheduled by their Club advisor. A few teachers from Coral Glades High were interviewed with three questions about how they personally feel about Clubs Starting up on Teams virtually.

Rojesterman Farris, Math Teacher and Swim Instructor at Coral Glades High School stated,
“1.) What clubs do you participate in at Coral Glades High School? CCT – Carrer and College Transition, Class of 2021, and First Priority Club.”, 2.) How do you feel about clubs virtually starting on Teams? Do you think that it is particularly the best way to do clubs?  “We have to operate in the environment we are in so we make do with what we have. I adapt pretty well to change because it has happened so much in my life. It should almost work as normal. Make the announcement, use Social Media and word of mouth to announce and invite members..”, and 3.) How do you personally deal with Teams with your students? Any tips you are able to give for a better experience on Teams? I follow the Broward County School rules in regards to TEAMS.  I do my utmost best to keep my personality as I would have in the classroom with the students. This can be very tricky since we do not see facial responses and body language, but we will continue to prayerfully improve as the school year progresses. Natural Tips are to –  Don’t fight the system – embrace it, work within it, and treat it seriously.”

Angela Andriesse, English teacher, and instructor of the Girl Up Club stated, “1.) What clubs do you participate in at Coral Glades High School? I am the adviser of the Girl Up club at CGHS.” 2.) How do you feel about clubs virtually starting on Teams? Do you think that it is particularly the best way to do clubs? “It’s definitely not ideal to start the year off with club meetings on Teams, but since we don’t have any other option, I think it is better than nothing. It’s not safe yet to meet in person at school or another public place, so Teams allows us to continue to have our clubs in a safe way while we’re waiting for this pandemic to end.” And 3.) How do you personally deal with Teams with your students? Any tips you are able to give for a better experience on Teams? ” Barring technical and connection limitations or glitches, I think Teams have been going well. I have allowed us to connect and have a semblance of normalcy in these uncertain times. Even if the class or a club is slow going, it’s better than not being able to connect at all. My best tips for a better Team experience are to have patience and a sense of humor and put your camera on. It’s intimidating at first to know that you’re on camera, but otherwise, we don’t really get a human.”

Bryce Rader, 12, student stated, “The clubs I participate in at Coral Glades is DECA, Mu Alpha Theta, and Peer Palz. I think that we have to make the best out of our situation and at least this gives clubs a unique way to keep kids involved, especially new students at Coral Glades who don’t know what we are all about. Although I wish we could be in person, since social interactions are what clubs are for, I think that virtual activities are our best option at the moment. Dealing with teams has definitely been something new for all of us. Since I am the president of DECA it has been particularly difficult to run events and make sure that there are no technical difficulties. However, the main thing I keep reminding myself and my team is that we are all going through the same problems, and to get through those difficulties we need to be patient and there for each other to make the best of our situation and ensure everyone has fun!”

I understand the dreadful process that Teams may bring on throughout the year for Club advisors and club participants. Through the use of monitoring the system continuously and using the use of communication, anything is to happen with the development of Teams. Coral Glades High School students are still entirely new to this learning process, however are continuously learning and evolving new developments and acts to occur to keep the structure of the learning environment open and free to supply a safe learning experience.