Categories:

Does School Demand Too Much Work?

https://cat.wfu.edu/2021/01/the-workload-dilemma/ Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 2021
Betsy Barre

School, as one grows up, demands more from the student. While expected, it may be too much for students to handle.

In elementary school, they require the basics to develop without affecting future academic endeavors. In middle school, the student has the option to take high school credit classes. The learning curve moves in a sharper turn depending on the student.

While some students can keep up with their schoolwork, others cannot. This is either due to laziness or reaching beyond the capabilities of the student at that current point in time.

While in middle school, there is the option, it also directs more stress onto the student. However, this isn’t further shown in High School.

High school is the point in life where the actions of the student truly matter. While you can get a high GPA in middle school through high school credit classes, the GPA high or low is automatically reset to the standard GPA.

Students are especially put under more pressure and attention by parents and adult figures to exceed academically. In addition, students have the opportunity to take more rigorous classes depending on their skill level and choice in difficulty.

Students can also take clubs and have officer roles for college applications. Students also must complete forty service hours to graduate and more for higher achievements such as a cord.

This question is already much pressure to place on a student who’s growing and developing. The work ranges in difficulty depending on the class difficulty. 

However, work builds up over time forming massive chunks of work the student has to complete in and out of the classroom. Students also may experience extensive, long- lasting work that takes hours to complete.

Depending on students’ capabilities, it may affect a student’s performance. However, students who do succeed, damage themselves to get work done. 

Most students switch out of higher-ranked classes due to not only their difficulty but also their workload. Students may even feel the urge to drop out from such pressure.

It’s important for students to take care of their mental and physical health during their time in school. Stories from successful yet hurt students must be heard to improve the education system. In fact, students share their experiences with school and their personal responsibilities.

“Life has been decent, like teachers, students, and metal detectors just make me mad. I don’t have honors or AP, I just have regular.” Zyan Chery-Johnson, a junior, states his experience with his classes and new disciplines and laws. 

“Well, I do work at Subway and so I have a job. It’s difficult because the point you come back from school and where I go to work is only one hour apart. One hour a day I get to myself and I work around, well it’s not set in stone, but three to four days a week. So, there’s not too much y’know time to myself so now I’m focused on school because I’m in the 11th grade where it starts to become a lot more tedious. Y’know that combined with the new schedule, there’s definitely difficulties. I would say that it’s not great and like there should be some system to school because most juniors and seniors have jobs and after school activities and clubs. Those are things they do rather than just school and the school system doesn’t properly support that. It doesn’t enforce other things aside from school that should be known. I just don’t like that kinda thing, y’know?” says Nicholas Campillo, a junior over his experience with managing school alongside his job.

While it’s important for students to succeed, they mustn’t be pushed beyond their limits. School is an exciting chapter in people’s lives and should be taken seriously yet enjoyably. Students should be heard today, before no one is tomorrow.