The Exorcist 50th Anniversary

Get your Blankets and Pillows ready as the spooky season approaches. Movie theaters have opened their screens to The Exorcist: Believer, the sixth installment in the popular Exorcist franchise, which is a direct sequel to William Friedkin’s classic film.  

The Exorcist. Violent, disturbing, and polarizing. All these qualities of the film are what let it have so much film history and pop culture around the world. The movie is based on the novel of the same name. The 1973 film has been met with both controversy and critical acclaim throughout the years, and it has developed a cult following of fans over the years.  

Melanie Vargas, Grade 12, said, I remember watching The Exorcist when I was in the 7th grade, and after watching it, I quickly fell in love with it and the sequels that came after it. Because of that, it makes me so excited to know that they made a new movie of it, and I cannot wait to see it. 

And now, five decades since the original flick first shocked audiences with its terrifying premise, stomach-churning imagery, and boundary-pushing performances, David Gordon Green, who directed the most recent three Halloween films, is revisiting the pulp fiction horror story in The Exorcist: Believer. 

Isabella Martinez, Grade 12, Said, ” When I first watched The Exorcist, I did not like it, but after meeting my boyfriend, I rewatched it, and I grew to like it, and now it is my and boyfriend’s favorite scary movie. 

The film will see the return of Ellen Burstyn in her role as Chris MacNeil, the mom in the original, while introducing several new actors, including Leslie Odom Jr., Ann Dowd, Jennifer Nettles, and others.  

The story follows Victor Fielding, a single father to a daughter, named Angela. When his daughter, Angela, and her friend Katherine, disappear into the woods and return three days later with no memory of what happened to them, they begin to show signs of demonic possession, this unleashes a chain of events that forces single father Victor Fielding to confront the nadir of evil. Terrified and desperate, he seeks out Chris MacNeil, the only person alive who is witnessed anything like it before.