BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Avatar: The Last Airbender Live Action Movie

It was rumored that there will be a live action Avatar:The Last Airbender. The rumor is now confirmed, and it is set to come out February of 2024 making it 6 years since it was initially announced. A lot longer than fans anticipated. 

Development 

Netflix announced in September of 2018 there will be a live-action remake of Avatar:The Last Airbender and they would start production in 2019.The original creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, were initially going to be the the executive producers and showrunners but they departed after creative differences. Production and filming began on November 16th, 2021. Jeremy Zuckerman Composed the music for the original animation and was set to return for the live action but after DiMartino and Konietzko departed, Takeshi Furukawa took over as its composer. The Series was rumored to come out in the summer alongside the One-Piece live action series but was pushed back due to unfinished VFX. It then was pushed back again due to the ongoing WGA and SAG strikes overtaking Hollywood. 

What is Avatar the last Airbender? 

The world is divided into 4 nations. The Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads.Each nation is represented by its natural element. The benders have the ability to control the elements from their nation. The Avatar is the only one who can manipulate and control all the elements. The avatar maintains all peace in the world; he/she is considered the “bridge” between the mortal and spiritual world. However, the last living airbender, Aang, has been missing for 100 years. Until, 2 waterbenders Katara and Sokka find him and help him out of his coma. Now They join Aang on a mission to stop the war between the Fire Nation and the rest of the Nations. 

Cast 

Gordon Cormier is playing Aang, the last living Airbender as well as the Avatar ,Kiawentiio Tarbell is playing Katara, Ian Ousley is playing Sokka,Katara and Sokka are the two siblings that rescue Aang. Dallas Liu is playing Prince- Zuko,Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is playing Uncle Iroh. During the casting DiMartino and Konietzko revealed they wanted a “ culturally appropriate and non-whitewashed cast.” Albert Kim who had officially joined as a writer, executive producer and showrunner felt that “ This was a chance to showcase Asian and Indigenous characters as living breathing people. Not just a cartoon, but in a world that truly exists similar to the one we live in.” 

Fan comments 

“The trailer didn’t really give much information about the live action series so I’m hoping there’s more to come.” – Tatiana Jimenez 9th grade.“ I really liked the original animated series so I am excited to see the live action.” – Hailey Machado 9th grade.