BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

How to Overcome Fears

Overcoming fear is a big journey that needs you to know yourself, be strong, and be ready to try new things. Fear is natural when you think something might go wrong, but it can also stop you from growing. Here are some simple ways to beat fear and become a better you.

First, it’s important to admit when you’re scared. Finding out why you’re scared or what you fear can help you deal with it. It could be fear of failing, being rejected, a fear of heights, or not knowing what’s next. Knowing the main issue is the first step to overcoming your fears.

Being positive is a big deal. If you focus on good things and tell yourself you can do it, fear becomes less scary and turns into more of a fun thing as you may tell yourself “I can do this I’m not scared”. Try changing bad thoughts to good ones and imagine yourself succeeding. This helps you build mental strength to face your fears. Elijah Roy, a Senior Student, says “Usually when I’m scared of something I tend to make jokes out of it to make me feel better.”

Breaking down goals that you know you can do into smaller steps is a smart idea as it tends to make facing your fears easier. Facing a little bit of fear at a time makes it less scary. Each small success makes you more confident in yourself. Creating a good cycle of feeling better about yourself can help you overcome your fears.

Facing fear means trying things that feel strange. Getting used to new or uncomfortable situations helps you grow. Taking safe risks and trying new things builds your ability to deal with tough situations.

Getting help from friends, family, or mentors is a big support. Talking about your fears to a family member or a friend not only makes it easier but also brings different viewpoints, maybe they have been through the same thing and have some tips on how you can get over it. Knowing others have been through similar struggles can be a big push toward overcoming your fears. Natalia Baldin, Sophomore Student, says “I talk to my best friend about my problems and she usually helps me by either helping me calm down or how I can get over it.”

Learning about your fears is also helpful. Understanding why and what you feel of scared can make it less confusing when trying to get over one’s fear. Knowing more helps you deal with fear in a logical way, telling apart what’s made up in your head from real dangers.

Finally, doing things over and over is key. Facing fear regularly makes it less of a big deal. Each time you handle a scary situation, you become more confident and sure of yourself whenever you face it again.

In conclusion, overcoming fear is a mix of knowing yourself, staying positive, setting small goals, getting support, learning, and practicing. Turning fear into a way to grow lets you change it from a big problem into a step toward a better and stronger life.