Talk to me (The Movie)

Talk To Me is a movie that is graphic and bone-chilling. The first few minutes of ‘Talk to Me’ feature a violent suicide, a stabbing, and a terrifying accident with a roadkill kangaroo. After that, the suspenseful clash of the living and the dead never lets up.

Australian twin brothers Danny and Michael Philippou, who gained notoriety for their online comic horror and action videos on their RackaRacka YouTube channel, enter the feature film industry with confidence and creativity, crafting heart-stopping suspense that skillfully draws on their history as viral video stars. 

The script by Danny Philippou and Bill Hinzman is in no rush to show how the shocking prologue events connect to the main characters, but it becomes clear soon enough. There’s also a more subtle foreshadowing of what’s to come as 17-year-old Mia (Sophie Wilde) and her surrogate younger brother Riley (Joe Bird) are speeding along, singing at the top of their lungs to Sia’s “Chandelier” when the car hits something.

“There were a lot of creepy parts that were kind of gross’’ said Amanda Torres, Freshmen.

The anniversary of Mia’s mother’s alleged suicide falls on this day. Since that loss, she and her father Max (Marcus Johnson) have grown apart, so she spends a lot of her time at Riley’s house with his older sister Jade (Alexandra Jensen), and their tough, no-nonsense mother Sue (Miranda Otto), who works nights and believes they will behave themselves. However, Riley, who is fourteen, finds it simple to go to parties with Jade and Mia.

Spiritual conjuring is the main draw at that get-together instead of the typical teenage delights of drink, drugs, and sex. They make touch with the dead by holding what is purported to be the severed hand of a powerful medium, which has been embalmed and covered in ceramic. They first say, “Talk to me,” then they say, “I let you in,” signifying full ownership.

Elijah Campell, senior said, “I loved this movie but I didn’t find it that scary”.

However, the hand’s owners caution that using it for over ninety seconds will invite the supernatural occupant to stay for good. Naturally, that implies that someone will eventually risk fate by going overboard.

The most brilliant idea in the script is to make these fleeting possessions an addictive high, not only for the person going through spiritual transmission (their eyes dilation, features changing into a ghoulish mask, and them spewing cryptic messages), but also for the audience members in the room, who burst out laughing. They record every embarrassing moment to post on social media while purportedly keeping an eye on the clock.