Society of the Snow Breaks Records on Netflix

The Snow Society is the new drama film, directed and written by Juan Antonio Bayona, which recounts the accident of flight 571 of the Uruguayan Air Force in the Andes mountain range in 1972.

The story takes place in the Andes Mountains, where a Uruguayan rugby team going to Chile, suffers a plane crash and is trapped in the snow. As the days pass, they fight to survive in extreme conditions and are forced to make difficult decisions. 

Of the 45 passengers on board, only 16 managed to survive. Trapped in one of the most inaccessible and hostile environments on the planet. Their survival will depend on the decisions they make in the midst of this desperate situation.

The film is not a documentary about the facts and, as in all fiction, some details of the real story had to be changed or omitted to maintain a correct rhythm and narration. This does not make ‘The Snow Society’ inaccurate, but rather shows that it has focused on other features of the story.

Between the main characters, we have Enzo Vogrincic, Matias Recal, Agustin Padilla, Felipe Gonzalez, Luciano Chatton, Valentino Alonso, and many more actors. 

The budget of this film was 60 million euros, and thanks to its success it is expected to earn double that.

“I loved the movie, I saw it with my family because it is at the top of Netflix, we got quite sentimental but it really is an incredible movie,” said Mirtha Cruz, 12th grade student. 

The film explores themes such as resilience, solidarity, and the fight for survival. The survivors of the accident are still alive today and have said that although this experience was traumatic, it was also something that taught them to value life and moments with their friends and families. They felt that they were not going to be able to get out of that mountain alive but their spirit was the last thing they lost.

“I heard all my friends talk about the movie so I decided to watch it, it taught me a great lesson, and even though I cried at the end, I would definitely watch it again,” said Kiara Gomez, 12th grade student.