BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Fourth Quarter Tension

From your first year as a freshman, to your last year possibly obtaining ‘Senioritis’; everyone feels the stress of the final quarter of the school year.
Source%3A+nea.org
Source: nea.org

There can be more pressure as the school year comes to an end to finish projects, tests, and assignments. The amount of work that needs to be done in a short amount of time may overwhelm students.

There are finals or end-of-course exams that have the attention of many students and can get them off track because they are so focused on their exams. This is one of the many things that have people stressing for this quarter.

“I know every year I get stressed around the 4th quarter because of finals but, I try my hardest to study and do well so I don’t have to take them again,” said Elijah Cambell, senior.

The fourth quarter can be extremely stressful for seniors or students moving up to pursue higher education or another grade level. There could be extra conditions that must be met to graduate or to get ready for the next level of school.

College applications for seniors in high school tend to be due in the fourth quarter at the latest. Essays, standardized tests, reference letters, and other assignments could be required for this, which increases the pressure to complete the school year well and make plans.

Students along with teachers may start to feel the effects of a long school year by the fourth quarter. Increased stress levels can be caused by exhaustion and burnout. 

This can be caused for some seniors by ‘senioritis’. Senioritis by definition is a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

One reason why seniors have this problem is because they are less interested in their current classes. After all, they are excited about graduation and the next chapter of their lives. Another reason is seniors might feel less pressure to maintain good grades or put effort into their education after receiving college acceptances.

Alvin Mei, a freshman said, “Since it’s near the end of the school year it is important to stay on top of your assignments.”

Ways to manage this could be to set realistic goals and focus on finishing your work. Another way would be to maintain a routine and stick to a set schedule to avoid procrastination.