The 2024 NFL Draft

The NFL draft happened on April 25th-26th, it was a fun event to say the least as five quarterbacks were taken in the 1st round and it took 15 teams to go for a defensive player to get picked. 

With the highly anticipated Caleb Williams being taken as the 1st overall pick for the Bears, which was to be expected, and unexpectedly Jayden Daniels being taken 2nd by the Washington Commanders. 

This was one of the five QBs taken in just the first 10 picks. We knew this NFL Draft was full of a lot of offensive talent, but not a single defensive player was taken until pick 15 by the Indianapolis Colts.

With the first defensive back being taken by the Philadelphia Eagles, coming from Toledo State it is safe to say no one knew who he was and expected him to be a first-round draft pick. 

We were also shocked to see Michael Penix Jr. go to the Atlanta Falcons as the Falcons already traded for star quarterback Kirk Cousins, who came from the Minnesota Vikings and went to ATL in a shocking free agency.

Kevin Deas, a senior says “This draft was full of a lot of players but I was not informed about how many defensive players or offensive players besides the players who were in the draft and were the most popular”.

Does the NFL need to give full coverage to players before they are drafted? Or is it okay to just not be informed?

The NFL shaped out to be one of the most exciting with the most offensive players taken and the arguably most talented in the draft with the most players taken in the first round. 

With some interesting prospects on the list with incredible room for improvement or evolution. Caleb Williams and Micheal Penix Jr. are the most interesting and intriguing prospects of the ones taken in the first round. 

Alexis Roberts, a junior says “I watched it because my brother plays football so it was exciting to watch the college players get their dream of getting drafted to a professional level of a sport they love”.