The Newspaper Class at Coral Glades High: A Deep Dive

The Ups, Downs, and Everything Else about Newspaper

The third-period Newspaper class features Newspaper 1-4 students, depending on how many years you took the course, so if you’re a junior and took the class all 3 years you’d be in Newspaper 3.

The work in the class is a lot, I won’t lie. So, we have 2 class days for every article, On the first day we have to submit a 250-word rough draft, and on the next class day, we must submit a 350-word final draft with a minimum of 2 quotes, and a photo. It may be a lot of work, but we enjoy doing it. The class is very interactive, and it is easy to ask for help. “I like the format of the class.”

“I enjoy this class. The work is fun, but the amount of it can be a bit annoying at times, but it’s doable.“ Said Gianna Ierubino, a Freshman at Coral Glades High. “I like the freedom we get from picking out whatever topic we want.”

Another cool thing about the Newspaper is all the events. There is a social every week, Wings Plus and Playa Bowls to name a few. I went to the Playa Bowls one and had a sugar rush after. I was up all night, but the acai was delicious.

The newspaper class has some upcoming field trips that everyone is excited about. The Florida Scholastic Press Association (FSPA) convention meeting and Boston, which I don’t know much about, but it’s journalism-related, and going to Boston can’t be that bad, right? Also, we are going to a hockey game which will be fun. Hopefully, the price will not be too steep.

“I relish this class. My writing has improved exponentially, especially from the benevolent editors. I love seeing my work shown in the spotlight on our website https://cghstheprowl.com/.” Said Manor Pniel the sesquipedalian.“Mrs. Hodge truly makes this class sublime, mostly because of her comical personality, overall this is one of my most treasured classes.” 

This class gives students the chance to express themselves, writing whatever they want, with their 5 ideas. Of course, the article has to be school-appropriate, students can then submit it and see their work featured on the school website, which is pretty cool.

“This class is very intense because we have to work constantly and we have articles due every week minimum of 350 words. Said King Thompson, Sophomore and we have a lot of fundraisers which can get pretty rigorous, but overall the class is really fun, and I have a great time every day.“

The newspaper is a very interactive class that gives kids a chance to have a good time and write. And of course, Mrs. Hodge makes it very entertaining.