BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

HOSA’s Incredible Blood Drive!

Coral Glades HOSA is having another blood drive on Wednesday, January 24. HOSA formally stands for ‘Health Occupations Students of America’ but is also known as ‘Future Health Professionals.’

HOSA is an international career and technical students organization endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Technology Education Division.

HOSA’s purpose is to motivate students to become leaders and give career opportunities in the health industry by using and offering education in high schools, collaborations, and experiences.

“I am totally thinking about participating in the blood drive this wednesday, but I have a few concerns, such as people coming out lightheaded, etc. But I know the blood goes to a good cause and HOSA gives it to people in need,” Noah Rosen, junior, explains.

This upcoming blood drive is the school’s third of the 2023-2024 year. They also hold socials and fundraisers at restaurants for HOSA service hours. Sometimes, an educational class is offered for students to learn more about health, such as the many forms of cancer.

To sign up for this blood drive, you will need to go to HOSA’s or the principal Dr. Mark Kaplan’s instagrams and scan the QR code. In order to donate, it is required to pick up a parent consent form from Mrs. Madej’s class in room 227. You must be at least 16 years of age and weigh 110 pounds.

On January 29, they will host a BurgerFi social from 4:30-9pm where every meal is worth 1 HOSA hour. More of these socials and events are coming up in the next few months so make sure to follow their accounts on multiple social media platforms if you are interested.

“I’m really looking forward to the blood drive, even though I’m not giving any blood.” Gianna Ierubino says, “I have before in the past. What HOSA is doing is really changing lives, they do these blood drives a couple of times a year. Mrs. Madej is great.”