How to Survive Your Freshman Year

The change from middle school to high school isn’t easy. The school is bigger and you don’t know where your classes are which makes it easy to get lost. Some people are older than you and now you’re the youngest. The classes are split into 2 days and the periods are longer. There are 3 separate lunches. The teachers are either more strict or more laid back. The work will be harder and it will be stressful but I got used to it with time and I realized that all I have to do is show up, do my work then leave. Getting used to it didn’t take long, especially because I liked most of my teachers and classes which I think is a big part of being in high school because if you don’t like the teachers or classes you have you’re not going to do as well as you could with classes you enjoy and are excited to go to every day.

When you’re a freshman it may not seem like grades are important because it’s the first year but, this is when they’re most important. Getting good grades helps you maintain a good high GPA. If you get bad grades it can mess up your GPA for the rest of your high school years. This is why it’s important to never end a quarter or semester with an F because then it REALLY affects it. If you get all your work done you won’t have to be stressed about grades and if you’re going to end the quarter off with a D or an F. Just because you need a 2.0 at minimum to graduate doesn’t mean you should just let it drop to a 2.1. Having a low GPA like that will damage your chances of getting into a good college.

Being a Freshman means you are the youngest from all the other grades and they will make fun of you and tease you but it’s not everyday bullying like in the movies. If anything the upperclassmen couldn’t care less about the freshmen. I didn’t face any bullying because I’m a freshman other than the occasional teasing by my junior and senior friends. It didn’t make me feel bad or embarrassed about being a freshman because I would also occasionally tease them for being older than me.

I have made a lot of new friends while at Glades and I’ve had a couple of different groups of friends but I’m not ending the year with a group, I’m ending it with my best friends whom I am so grateful to have met, Mimi and Tatiana. I have had trouble with friends this year but I was honestly expecting that to happen because it’s high school and we’re all going to grow apart someday. People are going to be weird and fake but I just learned to deal with it and not let it get in the way of me enjoying my first year of high school. People being fake is bound to happen and what matters is how you let it affect you.

My favorite thing this year was being with my friends and making new memories that I will cherish forever.