ESOL Academic Competition

Screenshot
Screenshot

On April 27, 2024, the ESOL Academic Competition was held, where several schools in Broward County participated, bringing their students who are learning the English language. The competition was held at Fort Lauderdale High School.

Coral Glades High participated with 14 students, who are going to this competition to show their skills in English, which is their second language, in different areas these students left their countries of origin to come to the US and learn English, it is a source of pride for our school the achievements of these students.

The different area in which they participated were: Writing, where students had to write an essay. Declamation, where they had to memorize and recite a poem of their choice. Impromptu, where the judges give them a topic, and they have one minute to prepare their response and talk about the topicOriginal Oratory, which is where they had to write something of their authorship and memorize it to present it to the judges.

In addition, they could also participate in arctic areas such as singing, drawing, and dancing, where some dances were typical of their countries.

Many thanks to Mrs. Newell, Mrs. Sterling, Mrs. Leon, and Mrs. Rodriguez who helped the students prepare for the competition and perfect everything.

“I feel super proud of my students, they did incredible in the competition, they showed the best of themselves in a language that is not their first, and they make me love my job,” said Mrs. Newell, English, and ESOL teacher. 

The Coral Glades students surprised everyone by being the ones who won the most medals and trophies. They won in all areas, shocking the judges with their incredible answers and proudly representing Coral Glades High.

“I enjoyed the competition, I won two medals and two trophies, and I feel very proud to be part of the ESOL program and demonstrate our skills in this second language,” said Amanda Farina, 10th grade student.

This is a competition that our school attends every year, however this year, they did better than ever!