Netflix Increased Pricing and Unusual Family Plan, Is it All Worth It?

Netflix and many other streaming platforms have established themselves as one of the main sources of entertainment to watch your favorite shows. But as their prices increased and their weird process to make sure it’s fair usage, is it worth all the trouble?

Netflix implemented password-sharing fees around last Maywhich caused remarkable benefits for the streaming company. The addition of these fees changed its business image as seen by its significant growth in both subscription and income in their most recent quarter.

With 13.1 million new customers recruited in the fourth quarter, up from 7.7 million the previous year, and earnings up 12.5% to $8.8 billion, the business credits its success to its efforts to monetize sharing.

In addition to price changes, Netflix has taken the steps to reduce unauthorized password sharing adding measures to ensure that members are paying for the service they use.

Netflix emphasized its commitment to fair usage and protecting its income source by adding an $8 monthly fee for sharing accounts outside of a single household and adding a system to prevent other devices from accessing accounts without due payment.

Netflix offers three subscription plans. Standard with ads, Standard, and Premium. The Standard with Ads plan costs $6.99 and allows simultaneous viewing on two devices in full HD. The standard plan offers to add free content and additional members. The Premium plan costs $22.99 and allows simultaneous Ultra HD viewing.

“I don’t know why they’re raising their prices when they don’t have any good shows nowadays,” says Nadine, a 9th grader.

The pricing of Netflix plans varies significantly across a variety of countries, with some regions offering service pricing as low as $1.46 in Egypt and as high as $15.49 in the U.S. per month. Netflix’s global content varies globally with shows and films from different countries finding success. Despite U.S-created content dominating Netflix libraries, original content from other countries also draws noticeable viewership. 

The reason I use Netflix is because they have no ads and now that they added ads is crazy. Not only but the price to get premium for no ads is crazy expensive,” says Herianna Bartholomew, a 9th grader.