BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

O.J Simpson Dies of Cancer at the Age of 76

O.J. Simpson, a former NFL star and broadcaster died at the age of 76 due to prostate cancer. Simpson’s prostate cancer diagnosis was made two months prior, Pro Football Hall of Fame President Jim Porters said in a statement that Simpson had received chemotherapy treatment.

A post from the “Simpson Family” on Simpson’s verified X account Thursday morning said: “On April 10th, our father, Orenthal James Simpson, succumbed to his battle with cancer.”

“He was surrounded by his children and grandchildren. During this time of transition, his family asks that you please respect their wishes for privacy and grace.”

Born on July 9, 1947, in San Francisco, Simpson overcame early struggles with the rickets to become an outstanding athlete. Winning the 1968 Heisman Trophy at USC and later playing for the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and the San Francisco 49ers, he left an indelible mark on the sports world.

However, Simpson’s seemingly perfect life was tainted due to the notorious 1995 trial for the murders of his former ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman. In a trial that saw America’s long-standing battle with race, class, policing, and criminal justice systems clash with its love for celebrities, a jury declared him not guilty. All of these factors combined with the judge’s decision to permit television coverage of the trial resulted in what many dubbed a “Trial of the Century,” capturing the nation’s interest for almost nine months before becoming a cultural landmark.

“O.J. Simpson’s life story, from his sports success to the notorious trial and even writing a controversial book called ‘If I Did It,’ which was considered by many as disturbing, has left its mark on our society,” said Narayani Sandoval, 9th grader.

In a civil action launched by Goldman’s family in 1997, another jury unanimously found Simpson guilty of the tragic deaths of Brown Simpson and Goldman and ordered him to pay $33.5 million in damages. While Simpson insisted he was innocent, surveys conducted in 2016 revealed the majority of Americans thought he was guilty. Simpson’s appeal extended beyond the drama in the courtroom and made him a household name in television shows and motion pictures. His ascent and fall from glory were equally remarkable and he left behind a complicated legacy that never gets old.