The Universal Debate

%28Photo+credits%3A+CGHSDebate%2C+Instagram%29+
(Photo credits: CGHSDebate, Instagram)

On April 12-14, the debate class will be attending a tournament in Orlando, Florida. However, this tournament will be unlike other tournaments throughout the year due to the changes in location and thus the environment of the tournament.

For starters, the first day of this trip will not be for a tournament. Rather, it will be for an event that the debate students all agreed on. On April 12th, the debate team will go to the Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios.

This serves as a fun moment for the debate team which every member attending was willing to pay for. The tournament itself due to its ranging location will be $150. The Islands of Adventure will result in $180.

The first payment was last week and must have been paid before Thursday. The second payment is to be determined but likely before Thursday to get the payments in on time.

In this tournament, there will be four rounds on both days. Day 1 will consist of four rounds all competitors are required to compete in. However, day 2 will have one mandatory round.

The rest of the rounds will require the utmost skill to compete and persevere through. The following rounds consist of the middle round, semi-finals, and the finals.

If competitors make it to the final round they have the chance to win a trophy for their school. Or they can win a medal to prove their skills and effort.

While being longer than some tournaments, they will be just as difficult if not harder. They will consist of people from multiple counties each with their skill levels and strengths.

If one is a member of the debate then this will be worth a high level of NSDA points depending on whether one does well or not. (NSDA is known as the National Speech and Debate Program.)

From diverse challenges to new experiences, these competitors won’t easily be beaten and it’s up to the debate team to represent Coral Glades. They have this to say about the tournament.
“I don’t think about it, I just do them. It’s not something I’m nervous about. I’ve been doing this since the 8th grade.” Robert Iannacore, a sophomore, says.

Huda Minur, a sophomore, had another take on end-of-year debate tournaments. “For the novices, I’m extremely excited since it’s near championship season and they finally get to use all the skills they’ve gained throughout the year. I’m excited for myself to go to nationals, and also extremely nervous because it’s another burden after studying for all my exams.”
While challenges are yet to come, the debate team will persevere thick and through. Competitors are great, difficulties are harder, and determination is the strongest belief to hold. If they stay determined they can surely make an impact for one and all.