What ReadSquad is all About

The ReadSquad at Coral Glades High is a program held by Mrs. Freeborn (you can find her in room 415) where high school students go to Westchester Elementary and help first through third graders who have struggled with reading and their homework.  

If you want to join, you can! Visit Mrs. Freeborn in 415 and she will have all the papers and items you need to sign to be a part of the program. 

Make sure to bring an after-school parent permission form. I cannot stress this enough, if you do not have it, you cannot go! 

“I have been in the read squad since last year and I have had a great time getting to know these bright kids,” said Manor Pniel, a Junior at Coral Glades High, and a fellow member of the ReadSquad. “It is a win-win for the kid and I because I get service hours and they get an education. I highly recommend joining, and Mrs. Freeborn is generous when giving service hours.” 

My mentee Revel Desouza is witty and unique. I have much faith in him for his future. I know that he will be bright even though he is so young right now-he will make it. I am very Proud of Revel, how far he has come in his reading, and how much smarter he has gotten. When Revel is older, I know he will succeed.  

This year the ReadSquad is a lot bigger than last year. Last year there were 15 or so mentors, this year there are 40+. This means there will be more activity at Westchester, more learning opportunities, and more fun! 

The main objective of the ReadSquad is obviously to teach kids to read, they are pretty easy books that don’t have too many words, but I understand because they are young and still learning. “My teacher is making me read The Great Gatsby (which I’m not) I just don’t understand it, it’s so confusing to me, I even saw the movie, but the book was different.” Said Noah Rosen, Junior.