Are Summer Jobs Worth Having?

Source- Michelle Gabel: The Post-Standard Landov

Summer is fast approaching with just two months left of school. It’s time to get your summer plans going. Many of us are planning to work this summer, whether it’s to start saving or just something to do. Summer is the perfect time to get a job where you have free time and don’t have to worry about missing assignments. 

But many people think summer jobs are a waste of time because you’re only working for two months. Or even shorter if you haven’t already found a job, But in those two months you can save a good amount of money. You just need to stick to saving which is not hard if you have a goal in mind.

“I honestly think summer jobs are a waste of time because you’re not going to enjoy your summer and you’re not getting to experience the responsibility of managing school and work,” says junior, DeAndra Gray.

Think about all the independents you get, you wouldn’t have to ask your parents for money or to buy you things. You’ll be able to get all the fast food, clothes, or the newest iPhone without being told no. Isn’t that something we all want? You can have all of this just by working a couple of weeks in the summer.

And your summer doesn’t have to be ruined by working. All you have to do is find a balance between the two. You can work the morning shift and have your afternoons free or the opposite. 

Many of us don’t want to work because it’s not cool or you don’t see your friends doing it. However, there are many teenagers our age who are planning on working just to get that little bit of freedom. 

“Summer jobs are great for kids that want to save up some money and it’s a great way to gain responsibility,” says Khamani Woodson, a junior.

Don’t let others influence your decision as to wanting to work or not. If you want a carefree summer or if you want to gain some work experience that’s all up to you.