Midterms Need to be Exempted!

It’s that time of year when midterms are coming up. This is a time we all students dread but teachers love. This is a chance for teachers to see what students have learned and what they need to work on. But for us students it’s just another long test that will affect your grades if we don’t do well. 

This is why exempting midterms is the way to go, all you need is to pass the class with an A or B and you’re able to exempt your midterm. You’re able to do this by filling out an exemption form that can be found in Canvas. All you need to do is fill out the form and have a parent or guardian sign the form and submit it. You would then receive an email stating that your exemption has been approved. This form will need to be turned in by Friday, December 8th. 

Many people think that exempting midterms isn’t a good idea. They think that we should be tested to see what we have learned and what we still need to work on.  One of these people who thinks that is Khamani Wood, Junior who says this. “Allowing students to exempt midterms wouldn’t tell you if they are actually learning or not. Many times students cheat on assignments and do not learn anything. But they are still able to be exempted from the test even though they cheated their way to that A. And we have one way of knowing if they actually understand the work.”

On the other hand, many people agree that students should be allowed to be exempt from exams. Here is what DeAndra Grey, junior had to say “Students work so hard to keep up with their grades even if the class is a little challenging you get the reward of not having to take the midterm if your grades are good after you worked so hard for it.”

Students should be allowed to be exempt from midterms because many of them are not good test takers. They may know the answers but when they get into the test they go blink.