BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Healthy Habits For High School Students

Science Photo Library
Smiling high school students listening in debate class.

Our high school years are vital in every teenager’s life, we get to experience academic challenges, social interactions, and personal growth. Throughout these changes, teenagers need to establish and maintain healthy habits that aid in their overall well-being.

These years leading up to becoming an adult form us into the person we will be shortly. We must take these high school years seriously, as we continue to grow physically and mentally.

As soon as they are adults we are still growing and oftentimes faced with the temptation of fast food and sugary snacks. I’m not saying that you’re never allowed to eat fast food but it is important to do it in moderation. 

We can all benefit from doing things in moderation whether it is screen time, eating certain foods, or hanging out with friends. Maintaining a well-balanced meal can also be a huge benefit in our lives.

Physical activity of various types is key for maintaining a healthy body and mind. It is important to incorporate at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise, whether it is running, jogging, dancing, or even biking. 

Prioritizing sleep is a great way to rejuvenate one’s self. It helps to establish a consistent sleep schedule of at least 8-10 hours of sleep every night. Shutting off your screen before bed can help create a restful environment to aid in falling asleep. Destiny Liburd, a junior at Coral Glades stated, “Eating breakfast is a healthy habit all high school students should have” which is all well said.

Surrounding ourselves with positive and healthy relationships can reduce stress. Create an atmosphere with people whom you can trust and will aid in your well-being. Having open communication with family and friends can help maintain healthy connections.

Resist the pressures of experimenting with harmful substances. These choices will only lead you into a path of self-destruction and can have severe consequences on your physical health and mental well-being. Stay far away from people you know who will influence you negatively. 

A parent Tia Liburd stated, “As high school students nourish your body, feed your mind, cherish your well-being.”

Now, surround yourself with peace, and stay away from negative situations. Don’t run to fights, stay away from them, and don’t become associated with others who do dangerous things.