BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Is Florida really having a long and cold winter this year?

El niño is arriving this winter

The year 2023 has brought with it the anticipation and curiosity surrounding the “El Niño” weather theory.  

El Niño, a climate event characterized by the warming of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean, can have significant impacts on weather patterns worldwide.  

El Niño is part of the larger El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) climate pattern, which includes the opposite phase, La Niña. 

In El Niño, warmer ocean temperatures disrupt the atmospheric circulation, leading to a range of weather peculiar across the globe. 

As of the latest data, the Pacific Ocean is showing signs of warming, indicating that El Niño conditions are emerging. 

Senior, Daniela Rubio stated, “It’s so funny because this is all we’ve been talking about in my environmental science class. I am very excited that we’re having a longer winter season because I love the cold. It makes living in Florida worth it if it gets colder more often.” 

El Niño often leads to shifts in rainfall patterns. Some regions experience increased rainfall and the risk of flooding, while others face prolonged droughts. 

El Niño can affect temperatures across the world. It typically leads to warmer-than-average conditions in some areas, which can impact agriculture, water resources, and ecosystems. 

A big wildfire risk could also be risked, including the regions that typically experience increased rainfall during El Niño due to the growth of vegetation during wetter conditions, which can later dry out. 

Jessica Garvey, a Junior, talked about the cold front we had gotten earlier this week, “I was so happy when it got into the 60’s this week. Especially because it is only October, I have high hopes that this Florida winter will be nice. Of course, we’re not going to have a white Christmas but, I’m just hoping it’s as cold as it can get!”  

A lot of people are excited for this winter since Florida is known for ‘not having seasons’ so, I hope the specialists are right about this one. 

Though it’s still early in the year, experts are closely monitoring these developments. The strength and duration of the El Niño event can vary, and it may persist for several months on end.