Volcano in Indonesia

Merapi is one of Sumatra’s most active volcanoes, and its most deadly eruption occurred in April 1979, killing 60 people. It erupted this year between January and February, spewing ash 75-1,000 meters from the summit.

Officials in Indonesia said on Tuesday that a highly active volcano in the region of West Sumatra has erupted, killing thirteen climbers and leaving ten more missing.

Indonesia is a country on the Pacific Ring of Fire and is home to 127 active volcanoes which is more than any other place in the world. Mount Merapi is one of the most active in Indonesia.

The chief of the recovery teams in West Sumatra, Abdul Malik, says that search and rescue operations are still in progress and that the corpses that have been found are being transported down the mountain. A group of forty rescuers was on the mountain while eruptions were still occurring. 

“The amount of people who still have not been found is terrible’ said Arianna Patillo, freshman.

According to an update released on Monday morning local time, 75 people, including the climbers, have been evacuated so far, and those who were hurt have been sent to the hospital.

Several additional climbers were found safely, while others had to be transferred to nearby hospitals for medical attention, though the conditions of the area are still dangerous. 

After the eruption, emergency response teams were dispatched to the region and started handing out masks to the locals right away. Furthermore, officials issued a warning to locals not to leave their houses due to the significant amount of volcanic ash that may be harmful to their health.

According to Elijah Cambell, Senior, “I think what’s happening in Indonesia is terrible and I feel bad for the people living there right now”.

Authorities advise locals, visitors, and tourists to avoid engaging in any activity within two miles of the volcano’s crater.

Earlier on Monday, 49 climbers were evacuated from the area, and many were being treated for burns.