The Idea of You and The Inspiration Behind It

This spring, The Idea Of You, is a film that is based on the Robinne Lee 2017 novel of the same name, a romance that begins with a dramatic meet-cute at Coachella. A story that will satisfy both band-boy enthusiasts and rom-con fans. 

When art gallerist and divorced single mother Solène meets Hayes, an internationally renowned boy band frontman called August Moon. Being her junior, sparks fly, forcing both Solène and Hayes to consider what they’re willing to do to pursue a risky romance with each other despite their very different lives.

There’s been a heated rumor on whether the movie The Idea Of You is based on a certain Wattpad but, you’re not alone if the plot of the steamy room-con The Idea Of You is eerily similar to a certain real-life former boy band who is now a well-known pop star and has a known history of going after older women. An army of fans have created elaborate theories regarding the possibility that Harry Styles was the inspiration for the movie. Although Robinne has stated that a range of men including her husband, Prince Harry, past girlfriends, and yes, Harry Styles, served as inspiration for her character Hayes. The novel was always about Solène, our main female character who questions the stereotypes around women and their needs as they mature.

“I wanted to write a novel that challenged certain myths: that female sexuality ceases to exist after we hit middle age; that having kids makes us no longer sexually attractive or viable; that women at a certain point in their lives—the point where they should be at their strongest and most prolific—become invisible,” she said in a 2017 interview.

“I heard this movie came from a Harry Styles Wattpad, and I’ve never heard of anything like it before. So I’m looking forward to seeing it as I saw the amazing clips in the trailer,” says Herianna Bartholomew, a 9th grader.