Do Smart Applications Benefit or Harm Students?

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.familyeducation.com%2Fkids%2Fdevelopment%2Fsocial%2Fcell-phones-school-should-they-be-allowed
https://www.familyeducation.com/kids/development/social/cell-phones-school-should-they-be-allowed

For some time now, the use of intelligent applications that provide them with information for their classes, assignments, homework, and even exams have been normalized in the lives of students. But are these applications benefiting the studies of children and adolescents, or are they just making it easier for them to put in less effort at school? 

One of the most famous applications among students is Chat GPT. =Chat GPT allows companies to easily scale their support capacity without the need for additional staff  

Another famous one is Socratic, which is a learning app from Google that helps high school and university students understand their schoolwork. It uses Google’s artificial intelligence (AI) and search technologies to connect students to helpful educational resources from the web and sites such as YouTube.  

Recently it has introduced a new Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbot called “My AI” designed to help users with various tasks through their messaging section in the Snapchat app. While this new feature can be helpful, there are some potential risks to young people who use this feature. 

The benefits of these apps range from giving students feedback on their essays to providing innovative ideas for assignments to learning new skills. The AI-powered chatbots are available 24/7 and are a great way to learn how to write better, ask relevant questions, and even get summaries from lengthy texts.  

The disadvantages of these apps are that they can create a feeling of dependency or complacency among students who are overly dependent on their help or results. Students may lose their initiative, curiosity, or creativity when they use these apps as a shortcut or substitute for their own learning efforts. 

“My opinion regarding these smart applications is that if we use them in the correct way, they can be a great help. When I do not understand a topic, or I have doubts, these apps sometimes have solutions, I just always use them to a limited extent.” says Juan Vera, Senior.

“As a language and literature teacher, my priority is that my students can do the assignments independently. My class is mostly about reading and answering questions, so I always tell them to use their own knowledge, and if they have doubts about the topic, they ask me, I do not agree with the use of these intelligent apps, I want them to be able to understand what we are learning in class, and these apps are not going to help them, but rather they are going to facilitate the answers without no effort.” says Mrs. Bayon, Spanish and Literature Teacher at Coral Glades.

With these opinions, we can say that on the one hand it is possibly a great help for students, especially when they leave class without understanding some things, but teachers may see it as a threat to students’ knowledge and their future. 

Something of which there is no doubt is that the world is advancing and with it, technological intelligence, as time goes by there will be more applications like these which the world will have to adapt to, but we always hope that we preserve our knowledge.