The Controversy Behind the new Garfield Movie

We all know the famous lasagna-eating cat Garfield well, especially now that he has a new movie coming out in May of 2024 and fans have a lot to say about it.

When the cast for this new movie came out fans were..unenthusiastic about Chris Pratt’s role as Garfield. Why? Some fans are complaining he has no voice range when taking on these roles and don’t think Garfield’s voice will be fitting for the character he is. Meanwhile, others think he has great voice range because of other roles he has played, such as Emmet from “The LEGO Movie” and Mario from “The Super Mario Bros”. His casting as Mario also sparked some controversy.

Fans want someone whose voice can fit the character Garfield, a grumpy and lazy cat, and they don’t think he will be the right fit for that role.

“I had a visceral disgust reaction to hearing Chris Pratt as Garfield. If my Garfield doesn’t sound like a 50-year-old man with a white beard, cool sunglasses, probably a motorcycle with flames and a black leather jacket, I don’t want it,” as one post on X stated.

Other fans seem to like the movie based on the trailer and have positive things to say about it such as the animation and even saying Chris Pratt is a good fit for his role.

Then there’s the fans who are in the middle. They love the trailer and can’t wait for the movie, but are still on the fence about who should voice Garfield.

Fans want someone whose voice can fit the character Garfield is, a grumpy and lazy cat and they don’t think he will be the right fit for that role. Many are demanding they bring back Bill Murry who played the role in the two live-action/CGI movies in the early 2000’s. “Chris Pratt voicing Garfield is horrendous. Bill Murray was so much better. There are so many people better than Chris Pratt. I don’t like the father idea. He’s got a perfectly good mom or other side cast of characters. I also hate how he looks. It’s very odd. I will see it, though.” Says a fan on X.

Some people are getting tired of seeing Chris Pratt in so many movies. “And these studios turning to Pratt because he’s safe shows you how interested they are in creating something safe with zero longevity or originality,” says Alan Scott from Newsweek magazine.