Hanukkah: Israel VS America

The Jewish holiday is celebrated all around the world, mostly in the United States and Europe, and especially in Israel which is where most Jews live.

The actual name for the word does not have one known spelling, in reality, it has multiple. Hanukkah, Chanukah, Hanukkah, Chanuka, Chanukkah, and more are all acceptable. However, ‘Hanukkah’ is used the most.

“It sounds cool. Although I am not Jewish, it still sounds like a compelling concept, and comparing the difference between the two countries must be very interesting.” Was said by Gianna Ierubino, Freshmen.

Hanukkah is celebrated for eight days in the month of December even though it does not fall on the same days every year due to the Hebrew calendar. Wikipedia states, “Hanukkah is a Jewish festival commemorating the recovery of Jerusalem and subsequent rededication of the Second Temple at the beginning of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire in the 2nd century BCE.”

In Israel, Hanukkah is celebrated with parties and songs and while lighting the Menorah, many prayers and blessings are recited. In the United States, prayers are said but not in the amount and emotional meaning that it has on the people of Israel.

“Hanukkah in America, we usually light the menorah every night and then open a gift for each night. So basically 8 nights and 8 presents.” Said Noah Rosen, Junior. “I am not really sure how they celebrate Hanukkah in Israel, I just know they don’t open a gift every night.”

Hanukkah is very different this year, due to the conflict between Israel and Hamas. Hamas has kidnapped and killed many innocent Israelis, which is why the people of Israel and Jews all across the world are fighting this year’s candles for them.

“In Israel, there is an atmosphere, and it’s gorgeous to see in almost every window a Menorah lit with the candles for each day. It’s mainly to show the light instead of the darkness. In America, you don’t see that often so the feeling is significantly different than life in Israel.” States Shai Pniel, father of the writer.