BREAKING NEWS
The Student News Site of Coral Glades High School

The Prowl

The Prowl

The Prowl

Don’t Forget to Wear all the Pink you can for Mean Girls (2024)

Yes, you saw that right. If you have been living under a rock, Mean Girls: the musical is making a comeback as a movie this Friday, January 12th. 

Even though it’s not being released on Wednesday, don’t forget to wear your pink fits. The original movie was released in 2004 and the movie has remained to be a classic to this day.

“Yes, I am definitely going to see it. I’ve always loved the original movie so I think I will love this one too,” says senior Emily King.

The debut of Tina Fey’s Mean Girls: the musical debuted on Broadway back in 2017 and lasted till 2020. It has also been a popular musical to do with high schools. It is of course based on the original movie but there are a few small changes made to fit the musical status. Let’s go through everything that we know.

The fabulous casting choices

If you are a fan of the original movie, it might be hard to imagine anyone playing those roles as greatly as they did but from the looks of it, the casting directors did a good job at coming up with the perfect cast for this iconic movie. 

Firstly, the amazing actress and singer, Reneé Rapp will be reprising the role of Regina George. She was a part of the original cast of Mean Girls the musical as Regina so there is no surprise that she will play Regina once again. 

Angourie Rice will play Cady Heron, Avantika Vandanapu will play Karen Smith, Bebe Wood will play Gretchen Wieners, Christopher Briney will play Aaron Samuels, Auli’i Cravalho will play Janis Sarkisian, Jaquel Spivey will play Damien Hubbard and the list goes on. There are a few known actors in this cast that you may know and it is expected that they will fulfill the roles of their characters.

What’s the plot?

Cady Heron, a former homeschooled student has just moved into a new town from Africa to start her new life at Public school. She soon is welcomed with open arms by a group of Mean girls called ‘the plastics’ ruled by the Queen Bee Regina George. She soon becomes tangled in drama once she falls for Regina’s ex-boyfriend.

Anticipation of the film

With the popularity of the 2004 film and Broadway musical, there is no doubt that this movie will be a hit. The first official trailer was released in early November on YouTube and there are many noticeable changes they made to make it more modern. It seems like social media will have a big role in this film which is fitting since many rumors are started online nowadays, making it have a little bit of a modern twist.

Many fans of the Mean Girls franchise have expressed how excited they truly are about this film. “It looks so good.. I don’t think it will top the original but I do think it’s going to make a lot of money,” says sophomore Jacey Fuller. 

It seems like many fans are worried about how it may turn out but for the most part, they are super excited. Predictions show that the film will be a hit. Remember to catch Mean Girls in movie theaters this Friday, January 12th.